SFS Names Kate McElvaney as the Head of Lower School
The San Francisco School (SFS) is thrilled to announce the hire of Kate McElvaney as the next Head of Lower School starting July 1, 2020. SFS was fortunate to have an expansive pool of talented applicants from across the country for this position, which allowed for a rich, inclusive hiring and deliberation process.
Kate, who currently resides in Roswell, GA received her Bachelor of Education from the University of Hawaii and her Master of Education in Educational Leadership from Kennesaw State. She brings to SFS more than 20 years of teaching, administrative, and leadership experience. Kate has spent the past 15 years at High Meadows School where she has led various efforts and held many roles, among them, she:
- Taught fourth and fifth grade multi-age classes
- Served as the Elementary Division Director where she supervised 3rd-5th grade teachers and the school’s Specialists
- Performed classroom evaluations to assess teacher strategies and effectiveness
- Coordinated the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program
- Served as the Technology Integration Coordinator
- Led the school’s accreditation process
- Managed multiple budgets across all school divisions
- Administered standardized tests to evaluate student performance and progress
One of Kate’s biggest undertakings while at High Meadows has been serving as the Founding Director of High Meadows Center for Progressive Learning. She established the Center as an outreach component of the school, providing guidance and leadership in progressive education at High Meadows and to the broader education community. In this role, she initiated and coordinated community events such as speaker series, film screenings, book studies, workshops and panel discussions. She also developed and implemented educational programming for teachers, families, and the broader community.
SFS is confident that Kate’s experience and mission-aligned educational philosophy will be a great match for the school. The community looks forward to welcoming Kate and her family to SFS and the Bay in July!
Head of Lower School Hiring Committee:
James Harding, Music Teacher
Steve Morris, Head of School, Parent (2nd and 7th)
Nancy Nagramada, Head of Upper School, Parent (3rd)
Carly Reiter, Director of Design, Engineering, and Technology
Raveena Rihal, Families4Families Lead, Parent (PS and 2nd grade)
Molly Treadway, 1st Grade Head Teacher, Alumna ’99, Parent (PS and 1st)
Posted January 22, 2020