Learning at The San Francisco School is engaging, creative, challenging, and fun!
Children at SFS love to come to school because they feel challenged and supported. They work together and learn in-depth about topics that matter to them. Their classes combine time-tested techniques with the latest developments and their learning is guided by passionate teachers and staff . For more specific details, please visit the division pages and subject areas; for a broader overview, please see our curriculum guide .
Our academic program is well-established - SFS graduates go off to thrive at great high schools and colleges. We pride ourselves on the fact that our graduates enter the world as global citizens and as people who think beyond themselves. It is our belief that just as much as we need to focus on giving our students the academic skills and abilities they need to succeed, we have to give them an equal amount of the prosocial skills: sharing, cooperating, and helping one another.
It is important to us that our students understand not just what they want to be but who they want to be as well.
At The San Francisco School, we believe:
- children are capable, competent, and creative
- play is a key part of learning and introduces children to social skill as well as learning about their peers in forms of language, customs, and culture
- children should be engaged in skill building and responsibility around real-life skills
- children should investigate and explore, not just sit and listen
- children learn in many different ways, and it’s important to have various ways for children to show what they know and various ways to learn
- teachers should see themselves as learners so that we can be in the process of active learning alongside the children
Our child is excited about what he is learning, challenged to be his best self, and happy to go to school each day.”
— SFS Parent