Parenting adults are often surprised when their children ask them if they can stay at school late because they have so much fun at Extended Day.
Updated December 13, 2022
We are excited to launch the Spring 2023 Extended Day program, which will include Winter Session specialty classes! A re-imagined afterschool program, Extended Day is grounded in equity, joy, and exploration, and is a place where children want to be!
Students will enjoy snacks, age-appropriate activities, play and/or study groups that focus on our students’ needs, equity, joy, and connection. All children have access to daily play, study and homework groups, and special age-relevant “explorations” in movement, art, science, sports, storytelling, and more. Equally as important, the program will offer children an opportunity to wind down and relax at the end of their school day.
For Preschool 3 - 8th Grade, Extended Day will begin Tuesday, January 3, and end Friday, June 6.
- For Preschool 3 and Preschool 4, hours are 8:00 - 9:00 am (before care) and 3:00 - 6:00 pm (after care)
- For Kindergarten - 8th Grade, hours are 7:30 - 8:30 am (before care) and Dismissal - 6:00 pm (after care)
Due to high demand, we are now offering a two-day option for Extended Day care in additional to our already established one, three, and five day options.
- Information and registration will be accessed through our online management system Jumbula.
- Parenting adults may enter the classrooms when picking up children on campus. Please note the School’s guidelines for visitors coming on campus.
- Please note that as health & safety guidelines change, our Extended Day program and hours may change as well.
Preschool 3 and 4
Preschoolers expand their social horizons in a warm and caring environment with a variety of activities. Both the morning and afternoon programs give children a chance to play indoors and outdoors. Our expansive outdoor area allows children to engage in free play — to run, dig, build, swing, and imagine. In the afternoon, there are games, art activities, STEAM experiences, and favorite preschool pastimes. A late afternoon snack will be provided.
*Preschoolers with elementary school siblings may be dropped off in morning care between 8-9:00 am free of charge.
Elementary (Kindergarten - 5th Grade)
For the fall semester, students will enjoy an afterschool club model that provides a snack at dismissal time, enrichment activities, time to relax and play in the many outdoor areas, receive additional support with homework, and connect with other students.
- Students’ choice of games, crafts, and activities each day
- Fee-based specialty classes (60 minutes) led by SFS staff and outside vendors (see what’s offered at our registration on Jumbula!)
- Private music lessons (30 minutes) in violin, cello, trumpet, or guitar
- Day camps on Parent/Teacher conference days or staff professional development
- Summer camps
|3:15 - 3:45 pm||
Snack, Group Huddle, and Outdoor Free Play, Games on Greentop
|3:45 - 4:45 pm||Students choose from focused activities such as drawing, textile arts, crafting, kickball, skateboarding, land arts, gardening, cooking, or learning to podcast. Homework support is available in the Learning Commons, and specialty classes & music lessons are offered during this time.|
|5:00 - 6:00 pm||Students choose to play in the yard or Adventure Playground, study, and/or read. If a student is enrolled in a specialty class or music lesson, they may opt into wrap around care for an additional fee.|
Several classes offer a FREE trial during the first week of January for interested students prior to the official start date on January 9, 2023. See the catalog of specialty classes at Jumbula!
Middle School Study Hall (6th - 8th Grade)
After dismissal, Middle School students have 30 minutes to wind down outside with a snack in the courtyard before Study Hall begins.
From 4 - 5:00 pm, students can work quietly and/or collaborate on their homework, relax with friends, and read. Teachers and support staff will ensure a smooth transition from the academic day to purposeful study hall.
Rates vary with frequency of participation, from occasional drop-in to regular 1, 2, 3, or 5 days/week. Please note that prices will remain the same for Fall and Spring semesters.
- For 1, 2, and 3 day packages, please let us know at the time of registration which days of the week your child will consistently need care so that we can staff accordingly.
- If your student is taking a class or lesson that ends at 4:50 pm, we recommend that you sign up for wrap around care from 5 - 6:00 pm.
- Please note that specialty classes, music lessons, and individual tutoring are not included in the price of childcare and involve an additional fee.
For qualifying families, Indexed Tuition codes will be sent out by Special Programs Director Sharon Ng and can be used for childcare, specialty classes, music lessons, tutoring and camps.
Are daily drop-ins permitted?
Yes. Occasional drop-in will be available on a space-availability basis and billed monthly via FACTS Management. The fee is $47 for Preschool and Elementary and $20 for Middle School.
Will there be refunds?
There will be no refunds. When enrolling in Extended Day, we ask that you consider your needs carefully before signing up for the semester. We are not able to give refunds for care if you sign up for additional specialty class.
Will there be music classes and tutoring?
Private music classes and academic tutoring are available. SFS Parent Sigrid Anderson- Kwun offers cello lessons that can booked with her directly (see the Tuesday Note Home for details). Weekly lessons are a half hour for $60, please note indexed tuition rates apply. Ages 5 and up are welcome. We are in the process of adding violin, voice, flute, guitar and trumpet.